Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Why do I get a newspaper?

St. Paul over at the Frater's place wrote about the decline of newspapers today. Now, since I am not in any way an especially learned fellow, the most intellect I could muster on the subject is "Why do I still subscribe to the Star Tribune?". After all I do spend a lot of electrons, bits, and bytes criticizing it, why subject myself to the aggravation? Near as I can tell, these are the reasons (in no particular order):

  • I like their sports section (well, maybe not Sid). I would miss the Twins coverage, and Patrick Reusse's columns.
  • I prefer their comics page that that of the Pioneer Press.
  • I like newspapers in general. I just like sitting with a cup of tea and a newspaper in the morning or evening. I suppose it's a sign of creeping fogeyism, but no matter. I know this is the age of the Internet and all, but I just like paper. I find it to be easier on the eyes than computer monitors, requires no power supply, and if it gets lost or damaged, I'm out about 40 cents rather than the cost of a notebook PC.
  • When I'm done reading it, the paper makes a fine dropcloth for cleaning the guns the Strib's editors would rather I did not have.
  • The used newsprint makes an excellent starter for my charcoal grill.
  • The Strib only nags me 4 times a year, which I find less annoying than pop-up ads.
  • Last but not least, after reading their editorial pages I have incentive to work on my writing skills in order to complain, rebut, and otherwise opine. They in their way are the prod that got me started blogging. (Ok, that's maybe a strike against them... .)

No comments: